Mark acts as lead and co-lead counsel in major personal injury and mass tort actions.
Mark DiCello is a founding partner of DiCello Levitt. He explains that after 20 years of jury trials and serving in lead roles in some of the largest personal injury cases in Ohio and around the country, he wanted to create a plaintiffs’ firm that did not exist, a firm that brought together top talent in the most important areas of plaintiffs’ law.
Mark understands that while our technology driven society continues to evolve at an unprecedented pace the law is slow to adapt. That means the most powerful economic interests typically operate “ahead” of the law. Representing people hurt by them, from serious catastrophic physical injury to life changing economic injury, is more challenging than ever. Through that lens, he has a simple message: “While Justice is your right, society won’t just give it to you, you have to fight for it.” This insight forms the heart of his approach to litigation and firm building.
Mark’s clients are all victims – from individuals suffering catastrophic personal injuries to groups of plaintiffs harmed by medical devices, pharmaceutical products, chemicals, automobiles, and more. He has led headline-grabbing mass tort and product liability cases and co-led massive multidistrict litigations.
For Mark, all of his experiences have led inevitably to the 2017 creation of powerhouse trial firm DiCello Levitt. He views the firm as unique in the plaintiffs’ bar – a diverse and fearless team of lawyers focused on important litigations in the U.S. and abroad. His vision is to continue building a firm comprising leaders in the law with strong underlying frameworks that ensure the firm can thrive for generations to come.
- In Re: Stryker LFit V40 Femoral Head Products Liability Litigation MDL-2768
June 30, 2017, Appointed to Plaintiff’s Steering Committee
- National Multidistrict Litigation over alleged defects in Stryker Howmedica’s recalled LFIT V40 Femoral Head
- Timothy Bruck, Executor v. Gary McClintick and Mentor Board of Education, 15CV000701
February 13, 2017, Jury Verdict, $1,267,500.00
- Mentor Board of Education School Bus Driver crashed into the vehicle driven by Jessica “Toby” Cribbs. Compensatory and Punitive Damages Awarded. The bus driver was not cited and claimed that he had the green light when he went through an intersection striking Ms. Cribbs’ vehicle.
- Arnold Black v. Detective Randy Hicks, Officer Jonathan O’Leary, Chief Ralph Spotts and City of East Cleveland, No. CV-14-826010
May 31, 2016, Jury Verdict, $22,000,000.00
- Mr. Black was stopped because of a mistaken identity and beaten and kept in a storage locker for days by police. The detective in the case testified that his department supported the mistreatment of Mr. Black.
- In Re Stryker Rejuvenate & ABG II Hip Implant Litigation MCL-296
March 19, 2013, Appointed to the Science Committee
- Multi-County Litigation in New Jersey on behalf of the nation’s Plaintiffs alleging injury by Stryker Howmedica’s Recalled Stryker Rejuvenate & ABG II Hip Implants.
- In Re: Propecia (Finasteride) Product Liability Litigation MDL-2331
June 22, 2012, Appointed to Plaintiff’s Steering Committee
- Multi-District Litigation alleging that Propecia, Merck’s prescription drug for male pattern baldness, causes permanent sexual dysfunction in men.
- In Re: Mentor Co. Obtape Transobturator Sling Products Liability Litigation MDL-2004
September 21, 2011, Appointed Co-Lead Counsel
- Multi-District Litigation alleging defects in Mentor Corp’s Transobturator Sling that was used to treat stress urinary incontinence in women.
500 Leading Plaintiff Consumer Lawyers, Lawdragon (2022)
Trial Lawyer of the Year, Public Justice (2021)
Litigation Star – Product Liability and Personal Injury – Ohio, Benchmark Litigation (2021-2023)
Crisis Management Trailblazer, The National Law Journal (2020)
Elite Boutique Trailblazer, The National Law Journal (2018)
Ohio Super Lawyers (listed annually since 2016)
“AV” Preeminent Attorney, Martindale-Hubbell
- “Cutting Edge Depo Techniques: What Needs to be Heard,” 360 Advocacy, Damages Conference: Go Big or Go Home, Co-Chair (2017)
- “Making the ‘Sudden and Unexpected’ Medical Emergency Predictable and Foreseeable,” 360 Advocacy, Trucking Conference: A New Look at How to Win Trucking Cases, Co-Chair (2017)
- “Look at the Science to Drive the Monster Verdicts,” 360 Advocacy, Damages Conference: Go Big or Go Home, Co-Chair (2016)
- “Views from Leadership: How to Utilize Lead Counsel in a Mass Tort Case,” Ohio Association for Justice Summer Conference (2016)
- “Story Structure,” 360 Advocacy, Damages Conference: Go Big or Go Home, Co-Chair (2015)
- “Voir Dire,” 360 Advocacy, Trial Lawyer MMA: Combining the Disciplines, Co-Chair (2014)
- “Make No Small Plans: Damage Modeling in the Mega Case,” 360 Advocacy, Damages Conference: Go Big or Go Home, Co-Chair (2014)
- “Mass Torts: You Have the Case, Now What? Marketing, Intake and Beyond,” Ohio Association for Justice Winter Conference (2013)
- “Witnesses Tell the Story Better than Any Lawyer: Learn How to Develop All Witnesses to Find the Theme and Tell the Story,” 360 Advocacy, Trial Skills Retreat: Empowering Witnesses (2013)
- “Trial as Theatre, not a Movie: Understanding Where the Witnesses Belong on the Stage and What They Add to the Production,” 360 Advocacy, Trial Skills Retreat: Empowering Witnesses (2013)
- “Developing Trial Strategies and Approaches,” Law Seminars International: Litigating Class Actions (2013)
- “Take your Damages from Good to Great by Maximizing all Witnesses’ Credibility and Effectiveness: A Hands-On Workshop,” 360 Advocacy, Damages Conference: Go Big or Go Home, Co-Chair (2013)
- “Stryker Rejuvenate ABG II Hip Implant Litigation Update,” American Association for Justice: Winter Convention (2013)
- “How Trial Consultants and Focus Groups Can Improve Your Results in Voir Dire,” 360 Advocacy, Trial Skills Retreat: Voir Dire (2012)
- “I Don’t Know Who are the Best Jurors for my Case – Workshopping Attendee Case Issues to Help Find the “Right Jurors,” 360 Advocacy, Trial Skills Retreat: Voir Dire (2012)
- “Applying What You Have Learned,” 360 Advocacy, Trial Skills Retreat: Opening and Closing Arguments (2012)
- “Trial Lawyers and Class Actions — Protecting Consumers and Elevating Your Practice,” National Trial Lawyers: Winter Summit (2012)
- “Using Focus Groups to Develop Case Themes and Litigation Strategies,” 360 Advocacy, The Trial Skills Retreat (2011)
- Conference Co-Chair, 360 Advocacy, Medical School for Plaintiff Lawyers (2011)
- Conference Co-Chair, 360 Advocacy, DePuy Hip Recall Seminar (2011)
- “Words in Action in The Courtroom (and in Discovery) “Understanding the Importance of Particular Words and Phrases: How the Use or Nonuse of These Can Dramatically Affect Persuasion,” 360 Advocacy, Trial Toolbox: Building a Winning Case (2010)
- “How to effectively use mock trials, focus groups and pre-trial preparation,” Mass Torts Made Perfect: Torts Made Perfect (2010)
- New Jersey
- New York
- U.S. District Court, District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court, Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court, District of Nebraska
- U.S. District Court, District of New Mexico
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- The Summit Council
- American Association for Justice, Leaders Forum
- National Trial Lawyers, Executive Committee, Class Action Trial Lawyers Division
- National Trial Lawyers, Executive Committee, Trucking Trial Lawyers Division
- Ohio Association for Justice
- Ohio State Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- New York State Academy of Trial Lawyers
- National Advisory Board, Association of Plaintiffs Interstate Trucking Lawyers of America