John has distinguished himself in academia and the national legal community as an expert litigator and writer in complex antitrust cases and consumer class actions.
John Tangren has exclusively represented plaintiffs for the past decade in multistate automotive defect class actions. In addition to the hundreds of millions of dollars he’s recovered for his clients, he also obtained nearly half a million dollars in sanctions for discovery misconduct in a class action involving unintended acceleration in Ford vehicles.
John’s professional accomplishments are among the most impressive in the country. He has recovered hundreds of millions of dollars in product defect cases, including $600 million for property damage caused by an herbicide, $135 million for defective heavy truck engines, and $45 million and $40 million in cases involving defective SUV parts, all while setting himself apart as an expert legal writer and tactician.
John has been recognized as an Illinois Super Lawyer, in the National Trial Lawyers Top 40 Under 40, and as an Emerging Lawyer by the Law Bulletin Publishing Company.
He frequently lectures on class action litigation and has presented “CAFA: 12 Years Later” to the Chicago Bar Association Class Action Committee and Strafford CLE “Class Action Litigation: Avoiding Legal Ethics Violations and Malpractice Liability.”
- Played a significant role in the successful appeal of Messner v. Northshore University HealthSystem, 669 F.3d 802 (7th Cir. 2012), which established important precedent for class certification.
- Played a significant role in the successful appeal of In re Text Messaging Antitrust Litigation, 630 F.3d 622 (7th Cir. 2010), which established important precedent for complaint pleading standards in antitrust cases.
- Obtained nearly half a million dollars in discovery sanctions for uncovering the defendant’s discovery misconduct in class action litigation involving unintended acceleration in various Ford vehicles.
- Represented plaintiffs in nationwide class action over toxic herbicide, resulting in a $550 million settlement.
- Represented plaintiffs in nationwide class action over leaking plastic cooling tubes in SUVs, resulting in a $45 million settlement.
- Represented plaintiffs in nationwide class action over student loan marketing, resulting in a $9.75 million settlement.
Super Lawyers, Illinois (2017-2018)
Super Lawyers, Rising Star, Illinois (2011, 2013-2016)
Law Bulletin Publishing Company, Emerging Lawyer(2015-2018)
National Trial Lawyers, Top 40 Under 40 (2012)
- Class Action Litigation: Avoiding Legal Ethics Violations and Malpractice Liability, Strafford CLE Webinar (2018, 2020)
- CAFA: 12 Years Later, Chicago Bar Association Class Action Committee (2017)
- “The Potential Perils of Deposition Objections to Form,” The Illinois Employment Advocate (Aug. 2015)
- Lessons on Motions to Dismiss from Other Car Defect Cases, HarrisMartin MDL Conference: General Motors Ignition Switch Recall Litigation (2014)
- The Use of Absent Class Member Discovery on Issues of Class Certification, National Consumer Class Action Litigation & Management Conference (2013)
- ESI For Beginners, Seventh Circuit Conference of the National Employment Lawyers Association (2013)
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Courts of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- U.S. States District Court, District of Colorado
- U.S. States District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. States District Court, Eastern District of Michigan
- Chicago Bar Association