Amy E. Keller
Amy Keller has successfully recovered billions for consumers across the country by litigating some of the nation’s most complex and costly data security and privacy cases.
Amy has experience successfully litigating a variety of complex litigation cases in leadership positions across the United States. She focuses her practice on class action litigation and consumer protection matters in particular. Amy has litigated a wide range of product liability, data privacy, design defect, employment, and food labeling cases in courts throughout the country.
Amy has served in various leadership positions in national class actions in an indication of the respect she enjoys among the judiciary and her peers. She was appointed to serve as co-lead counsel in the pending nationwide litigation against Equifax related to its 2017 data breach, where she represents nearly 150 million class members. Due to Amy’s knowledge of data privacy litigation, she was named to Law 360’s 11-member Cybersecurity & Privacy Editorial Advisory Board in 2019.
Her numerous other leadership positions have also required sophistication in not only understanding complex legal theories, but also presenting multifaceted legal strategies to ensure a favorable result to her clients. She has considerable familiarity with a range of unfair competition laws, and has offered extensive commentary concerning proposed changes to the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure as Chair of the Chicago Bar Association’s Class Action Committee and Co-Chair of the American Bar Association’s Section of Litigation Rule 23 Subcommittee.
In 2016, Amy was elected to the Board of Directors of the Public Justice Foundation, a nationwide 501(c)3 charitable organization supporting the pursuit of high-impact lawsuits to combat social and economic injustice, protect the Earth’s sustainability, and challenge predatory corporate conduct and government abuses. Since 2009, Amy has served on the Board of the Chicago Art Deco Society, where she founded the Preservation Committee and currently serves as the Executive Vice President and Director of Preservation Advocacy. In addition to her civic involvement, Amy is a cast member, writer, and dancer in the Chicago Bar Association’s Bar Show, and recently celebrated her seventh year in the 93-year-old Chicago tradition.
- Data Privacy
- In re Equifax, Inc. Customer Data Security Breach Litig., No. 17-MD-02800 (N.D. Ga.), representing nearly 150 million consumers as co-lead counsel
- Named Co-Chair of Law and Briefing on the Plaintiffs’ Executive Committee in In re: Apple Inc. Device Performance Litigation(N.D. Cal.), where she employed her technical savviness in directing an effort to craft a nationwide and international consolidated complaint
- Represented plaintiffs in class action litigation against BMW over design defects causing electrical failures. Catalano v. BMW of North America, et al. (S.D.N.Y.)
- Appointed to Executive Committee in Wolosyzn v. General Mills, Inc. (D. Minn.), a class action case over the deceptive labeling of General Mills Nature Valley granola products.
- Appointed to the Steering Committee in In re Windsor Wood Clad Window Products Liability Litigation (E.D. Wis.), multidistrict litigation concerning design and manufacturing defects in windows.
- Served as co-lead settlement class counsel in Roberts v. Electrolux Home Products, Inc. (C.D. Cal.), representing consumers in a nationwide class action settlement involving defective clothes dryers that presented a fire risk to consumers’ homes.
- SuperLawyers Rising Star, 2017-2019
Writings and Presentations
- Moderator, Chicago Bar Association Class Action Committee Winter Seminar, “Class Actions and the Trump Administration” (2017)
- Panelist, Women’s Bar Association of Illinois panel on Emerging Issues in Privacy and Technology Law (2017)
- Speaker, Current Trends in Product Liability Class Action Litigation, Perrin Class Action Litigation Conference in Chicago, Illinois (2016)
- Speaker, A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum: When to Choose Federal Over State Court, American Bar Association Section of Litigation Annual Conference in Chicago, Illinois (2016)
- Moderator, Chicago Bar Association 2015 Annual Spring Seminar on Class Action Litigation in Chicago, Illinois (2015)
- Speaker, Circuit Court Update, ABA Section of Labor and Employment Law, 6th Annual Section Conference in Coronado, California (2013)
- Preemptive Collateral Estoppel Blocks Consumer Class Action in Thorogood, CADS Report, Vol. 21, Winter 2011 (Co-authored by associate Dawn M. Goulet)
- The Criminal Law Edit, Alignment and Reform Initiative: A Symposium on the New Criminal Code, 41 J. MARSHALL L. REV. 610-935 (Spring 2008) (as Chair of the Symposium)
- Board Member, Law 360’s Cybersecurity & Privacy Editorial Advisory Board
- Board Member, Public Justice Foundation
- Chair, Chicago Bar Association Class Action Committee
- American Association for Justice
- Illinois State Bar Association
- State Bar of Michigan
- American Bar Association