Greg’s swift, global evaluation of the legal and factual landscape drives creative solutions and extraordinary results.
Greg Gutzler is an experienced trial lawyer with a track record of billions in recoveries in high-stakes cases. Before joining DiCello Levitt, Greg litigated extensively on both the plaintiff and defense side, including working at his own boutique firm, one of the nation’s most prestigious plaintiffs’ firms, and as a partner of an Am Law 100 defense firm. He is a trusted advocate chosen by clients when they need candid, creative, and aggressive approaches to business solutions and decisive litigation strategy. Greg believes that the law is more than a means to pursue justice—it is the foundation of a society in which people are free to create, thrive, and feel protected. Beliefs become action through creativity, technical excellence, knowledge, and discipline.
Greg is a go-to advocate for any type of complex commercial litigation, business disputes, whistleblower cases, and sexual abuse cases. Clients seek out Greg for his expertise in contract, ownership, and valuation disputes. Whistleblowers also rely on Greg’s experience and creativity in prosecuting SEC, False Claims Act, FIRREA, IRS, and FCPA matters. Greg’s practice areas focus on ensuring that innovation thrives and creates competitive marketplaces. One of his clients, a major biotechnology company, spent billions of dollars to create a groundbreaking technology. When a competitor improperly exploited his client’s intellectual property, Greg led his client’s suit against the competitor, tried the case in federal court, and won a jury verdict of $1 billion in damages. This was the fourth-largest patent infringement jury verdict in U.S. history—and hammered home the point that competition, no matter how intense, must always remain fair and honorable.
Greg has litigated more than a dozen high-profile securities actions against international investment banks for misrepresentations they made to investors in connection with residential mortgage-backed securities, recovering more than $4.5 billion. When important investments and resources are at stake, hedge funds, private equity funds, venture capitalists, individuals, companies, and governmental entities turn to Greg because he is a fearless advocate in complex lawsuits in federal and state court and arbitration.
Greg is also on the front lines in protecting women and men from sexual abuse, discrimination, and exploitation. He is lead counsel in a civil suit involving the world’s largest-ever sex trafficking case, which spans six countries and fifty years of abuse. On December 10, 2021, Dateline NBC featured Greg in its revered news magazine program in an episode titled, “The Secrets of Nygard Cay.”
Greg’s grasp of the nuances of common law—the influence of jurisdictions, who’s on the bench, and more—converge in a simple insight: The system never dispenses justice based on predicable formulas, so legal professionals must fight to achieve justice. He views DiCello Levitt as the right firm to advance that fight for its clients, drawing on a shared vision of commitment, creativity, and loyalty.
- Monsanto v. E.I. du Pont De Nemours & Co. Inc. (E.D. Mo).
- CMFG Life Ins. Co. v. RBS Sec. Inc.(W.D. Wis.)
- NCUA v. RBS Securities, Inc. et al.(D. Kan.) & (C.D. Cal.)
- NCUA v. Barclays Capital, Inc.(S.D.N.Y.) & (D. Kan.)
- NCUA v. Morgan Stanley & Co., Inc., (S.D.N.Y.) & (D. Kan.)
- Gulf Power v. Peabody (N.D. Fla.)
- Monsanto v. Syngenta Seeds, Inc. (D. Minn.)
Leading Plaintiff Financial Lawyers in America, Lawdragon (2022)
Litigation Star – Commercial, Securities, Competition/Antitrust – New York, Benchmark Litigation (2013, 2018, 2021-2023)
Plaintiffs’ Lawyers Trailblazer, The National Law Journal (2021)
Biggest Plaintiffs’ Verdict, Missouri Lawyers Award (2013)
- New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, District of Kansas
- U.S. District Court, District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Tennessee